Tuesday, September 8, 2009

While relaxing in the Outer Banks, N.C. yesterday, I had the time to thoroughly read the newspaper for once! I came across an article which was highly disturbing regarding prepackaged cookie dough and e-coli. A Las Vegas woman is mute, her kidney and liver have shut down as well as many other life threatening symptoms, after eating several spoonfuls of Nestle's cookie dough. She is one of 80 people in 30 states to be sickened by the very deadly bacteria, E.coli 0157.H7.

I have never bought cookie dough, as I make my own with all organic ingredients, but this is just another example of how the food industry is unable to protect consumers. It is also another reason why people should be extremely careful when they buy food, especially processed foods. They should be avoided at all costs.

Food borne illnesses affect millions of Americans each year. It is enough to make one want to grown their own vegetables and fruits, and at the very least ensure you know where your food is coming from. Spend the extra cents and dollars to buy only the freshest, locally-grown and if possible, organic foods. You just might be saving your life!

I have become wary to eating out anymore, and when I do, am extremely careful of where I eat and what I eat. It is just not worth the risk of becoming ill. Of course, eating at home is my favourite option because I know the food I buy is fresh and I am extremely cautious in how I wash vegetables, fruits and meats. Also, the flavour I can achieve with fresh garden herbs is far superior than what I am normally served while dining out, with a couple of exceptions!

I did eat a local bistro last week, Croc's 19th Street Bistro. I know the owner and I asked where the chicken comes from. I did receive a very lovely Middle Eastern wrap with lots of fresh lettuce and free-range chicken and I could taste the goodness of it. However, with more frequency, I choose not to go out because I cannot trust what I am eating will not make me become ill. I think diners should take the time to ask where their food comes from when dining out! If more people adopted this prinipal, trust me restaurant owners will start adapting new standards!

Just be careful about what you eat and take the time to chew your food over and over. Cayce advised that this is a great way to alkaline your body! And, when your body is alkaline and not acid, your body will not become ill.

No comments:

Post a Comment