Thursday, December 3, 2009

The more I know about food and its source, the more I want to eat the Cayce way!

The more I research about food and where it originates from, the more I am determined to only eat locally-grown, in-season foods bought directly from farms around here. Ditto for dairy products. I traveled to the Virginia Beach Farm Market yesterday to buy dairy products from a creamery there. I asked many questions about how the cows are raised, if the chickens are allowed outside, etc. Indeed only farms that treat animals with respect and are allowed to roam freely and not treated with hormones, etc. are the ones they deal with.

I saw videos of the farm and was pleased to find out that yes, you can actually visit the farm. That means they are being treated humanely and are not afraid of "being caught" on mistreatment. So many factory farms are treated as though top secret dealings are going on there! So, when you buy your food, ask lots of questions!!!! More often than not, if you are dealing with good vendours, they will be more than thrilled and delighted to tell you how proud they are of the origins of the food they sell!!!!!

The more I read about Edgar Cayce's philosophy on food, the more I realise that he was "right on" in his readings! If we fail to support our local farms and farm markets, we will starve because don't think the price of gasoline is not going to go up to exhorbant rates, so shipped in food will not be an option for the majority of society. Also, if possible, as Cayce suggested, start growing your own food to feed yourselves and those in need! I feel so fortunate to have a great back yard to have my own veggie garden.

And, speaking of which.......my Italian flat-leaf parsley is growing like mad right now! Hooray! I love cooking with it!

Tonight's dinner will be yummy! Oven roasted organic and free-range chicken (it is small, as real chickens should be!) basted with olive oil, sea salt, fresh rosemary from the garden and stuffed with lemons; Italian escarole and cannelini beans made with fresh garlic/lemon juice and olive oil with steamed organic carrots and a nice field of greens salad with lemon vinaigrette! Okay, so now I am really hungry after writing all of this down and the odours coming from the kitchen are making me ravenous!

It is so easy to cook healthy dinners! We just returned from our hair dresser's Curtis and April
- Amici Style at the beach! They are both totally into great food and I gave them a copy of my cookbook, as they will also be selling my book there! They are thrilled because they are trying to get back into eating healthy food and no packages! They will try each recipe in the book! I took them a container of the black bean humus found in my book and they all loved it! I was giving them a pep talk on how easy it is to cook, but to remember to buy from the source and only buy "real" food - i.e. vegetables, fish or whatever poultry, etc. they want and lots of fruit. They cannot wait to get back into a healthy regime, so that made my day to talk with them!

So, enjoy your meals and sit down together as a family or with friends - relax while you converse and chew your food!!!!!

Bon ap!

No comments:

Post a Comment